There are two ways to apply for a smart ID card or passport in South Africa – online (eHome Affairs) and offline (Home Affairs Branches). While both the processes are equally popular among the citizens of South Africa, the idea of applying for Smart ID card or passport online is less time-consuming.
Here’s are the easy step-by-step guide on how to apply for a SA Smart ID card or passport online:
- Registering on eHomeAffairs consists of creating a profile with a secured password.
- Complete your personal details
- Create a password
- Answer the security questions
- The application form is for a Smart ID Card and/or Passport.
- You can capture and submit an application form for yourself or for a minor directly related to you, typically for a minor requiring a Passport for travelling purposes.
- All fields highlighted in red are mandatory and must be completed.
- Required supporting documents will be listed.
- Please note that originals will be required to be presented at the branch office
- Capture your banking details.
- Please note that submitting a payment on eHomeAffairs is only an instruction to your bank.
- In order to complete the payments process you need to logon to your internet banking to authorise the payment.
- A payment authorisation process guide can be requested from your bank.
- Once the payment has been authorised, please note that bank payment verification process must take place and may take a few minutes.
- Please note that digital biometrics can be captured at any Home Affairs office or at a Home Affairs enabled Bank office, for which a booking is a prerequisite
- You do not need to make a booking to provide your biometrics at any of the Home Affairs offices.
- The barcoded confirmation Letter as well as your ID Book (if available) is required to be taken when going to the branch